Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Life & Times of Dan Bowen

So, I had a short office conversation with BookLamp Prez, Anthony Hauser, about Twitter.  Tony's point was question about why anyone would care to log the various "minutia" of their life.  I find it interesting that most people who don't use certain social networks tend to ask the same question: "Why would I want to do that?" - whatever it is... Twitter, Blippy, etc.  After hearing this over and over again from skeptic after skeptic, I found myself frustrated with the question.  I think my perspective promotes an alternate, but similar question:  "Why not?"  Maybe this is the difference from those personalities who are open and those who aren't.  Research and caution is always warranted, but these services (for the most part) are "customizable" enough to allow as little or as much information into your life as you care to.  It seems to me that ignorance is bliss, but at the cost of your own unrealized benefit.

So, I felt I had to find a solid, legitimate reason for social networks outside the obvious benefit of instant information.  To name one application, I can aggregate a personal history of life with more detail than an individual who's opted out of the various social services.  Maybe a good project for retirement.

On that note, I need a way to archive my social logs.  I haven't found a great way to do this yet, but I think I'll have a lot to write about when the time comes.  I want to make sure I have all of my life's data to reference.  I'm on the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment